Probate and Succession Law
We understand the different probate procedures and succession laws in Spain and the UK.
- Help you deal with the process of winding up the deceased’s estate and transferring property in Spain into the names of the heirs, following the death of a relative or friend.
- Guide you through the process in Spain of administering and disposing of the Spanish estate. Whether the deceased left an English or Spanish Will, or died without leaving a Will, we guide you through the process in Spain of administering and disposing of the Spanish estate. We deal with notaries, banks and land registrars concerning issues of foreign law posed by the succession, as well as with practical matters such as the location of assets, negotiations with the other heirs or claimants, payment of Spanish inheritance tax and the final distribution of the Spanish property to the beneficiaries or sale and division of the proceeds.
- We deal routinely with both contentious and non contentious probate proceedings.
- Expertise in multi-jurisdictional estates where assets may be located in Spain, the UK and often, in third country jurisdictions, such as the Channel Islands, where we advise and coordinate probate procedures and inheritance tax issues in the various jurisdictions.
- Advise how to minimise your tax liability in respect of UK and Spanish inheritance tax.
We advise charitable trusts and companies in relation to legacies of property and other assets in Spain.